Happiness. Some people might find her to be illusive. Others have found her and have a great understanding of each other. Some may never find her; even though she’s right around the corner, never far, waiting to be found.
For those who have found her, you may have noticed some special qualities about these people. Let me share some of those qualities with you.
- They eat well. They are very careful about having a well-balanced diet high in protein, veggies and fruits, low in unhealthy sugars and fats (versus the good ones), and they don’t skip meals.
- They sleep well. According to the Nation Sleep Foundation, adults should sleep anywhere between 7-9 hours; adults 65+, 7-8 hrs.
- Friendships. Oh my goodness we just don’t realize how important friendships can be to our happiness and overall health. Enough said.
- Exercise. If you’re a social butterfly like me, this only works well when I’m with someone dragging me. However, this is not only great with friends, it’s easily done to improve intimacy, such as, hiking together. Going out for a swim together. You get the picture. Oh, and yes, sex is one of the best exercises! This is a natural way to improve everything!
- They take risks. Sometimes we just need to take that risk, accept challenges and allow that feeling of control. You just may be rewarded.
- The Golden Rule. Treating others the way we want to be treated. Can you not see the advantages there? The opposite: well, if you are lying, cheating, and, in general, treating others poorly, this will not only cause “dips” in your “bucket” but also stress and anxiety to both the receiver of your negative actions and you as well.
- Don’t live in the past! They don’t constantly bring up past mistakes. This will not only not make you happy, it will not make you a more positive person. Allow yourself to look at your mistakes, learn from them and look toward the future with a more positive and healthier outlook about the things that you can do.
- Envying Others. There is a reason this is one of the 10 Commandments! Jealousy, envy, frequently comparing yourself to others not only takes away from your own personal achievements, but it also discounts what God has done for you. Stop measuring yourself against others and you will be able to focus on both your blessings and successes.
These characteristics seem fairly simple, don’t they? You would think that more people would have found Happiness. Why then the problem? One of the reasons for the problem is in the environment and the person’s own choices. We have a choice. It may be that the choice is not staring you in the face and you need someone else to point Happiness out for you. She is there if we change our way of thinking about things. Either way, CHOOSE today what you will do for yourself. CHOOSE to be happy, content, satisfied. Blessed. 🙂 🙂 🙂